Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Scary girl

ScaryGirlBlog
"Scary girl," Tim Connor, All rights reserved

This is the view from my office mate's window. I've been recording the succession of building-size movie poster murals that go up, then are painted over. Their time on the wall can be as short as a week, no more than 2 or 3. Incredibly, they appear to be painted free hand (no outlines or marks of any kind go up 1st), but that's impossible. Isn't it? My office mate, a designer, & I would really like to know how these scaffold guys do it. Anybody know?

See more murals here , here & here (I've shot hundreds but only processed a few).

1 comment:

luis said...

There are guidelines (and I think a grid) there but you're too far away to see them. (I saw one being drawn some years ago in Toronto and I was much closer.)

My guess (and this is only a guess) as to how they get the guidelines on there is it's done at night-- a projector is used to project the guidelines on to the wall.

That building with the water-tower would be the perfect spot to project the image.