Monday, November 24, 2008

Nancy Fulton: Of wind & summer light

Nancy Fulton (aka Yellowhammer on Flickr) spends her summers on the Maine coast, where she makes photographs that range from mature contemplation to child-like play. I recently had occasion to spend some time looking at her Wind series. The series is nothing more than colored & textured fabrics hung in Nancy's yard & photographed as they race, loft, plunge & cavort in the breezy summer light. Yet I was amazed at the feelings the pictures stirred. I laughed more than once & even felt a kind of grief knowing these moments (& everything) inevitably vanish. But the main feeling, which underlay all the others, was delight.

Here are four from Wind.

BlueFilmFalls

UpDownFlowerShirt

PurpleSeaFlag

redgreen
From "Wind," Nancy Fulton, All rights reserved

2 comments:

Christine (CA) said...

Good to see you highlight Nancy's work. Her wind series has always been one of my favorites. Her other series are equally brilliant. She has a kind of single-minded, perhaps even stubborn, persistence and focus on a theme that fascinates me. Not unlike what I often see in your workings :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for introducing me to Nancy's work. Love this wind series.