Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Subterranean homesick news

YellowstockingsLady415px
"Yellow stockings, Brooklyn," Tim Connor, All rights reserved

I've signed a contract to do an Arts for Transit lightbox show in a tunnel below MTA's Atlantic Avenue station! The show will be 8 of my images from Brooklyn neighborhoods printed on duratrans film & mounted in 45" x 66" lightboxes. We've decided on the pictures but are still banging around names. Installation date is also still to be decided.

Wow. I'm not going to even mention Jeff Wall, but I have always loved lightboxes. I shot slides almost exclusively for years -- even though they had a much smaller exposure range than color neg -- just because I thought colored light through film was the prettiest thing on the planet. And I have never made a print anywhere near the size of these boxes!

For those of you who don't know, the B,D,M,N,Q,R,2,3,4 & 5 trains meet in the Atlantic Ave.-Pacific St. station & there is a major connection to the Long Island Rail Road. They tell me 10,000 people pass through this tunnel during rush hour; in a year 3 million come though.

More later, obviously. I finally believe this is actually going to happen, so I'm spilling the beans.

14 comments:

Andrew Gardner said...

Hey Tim, congratulations!

I'll be looking forward to seeing them...I walk though the station quite a bit!

Bruce Grant said...

Atlantic Ave. & Pacific St.

Please tell me there's an A&P nearby.

:DDD

seriously, congratulations, my friend
so, so well deserved

Unknown said...

Way to go, T!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome, Tim, Congratulations!

Back lit displays are great, I have always loved slides and trans just as objects. Back in the day I worked at a lab that printed tons of big duratrans for tradeshows and airports. Printed a few for myself too, nothing like it. We also did Cibatrans too, wow, what rich color those had. I will have to seek yours out. Well done.

Anonymous said...

More great news

Congrats Tim

Ron

Unknown said...

Great news!

Ted Sherarts said...

Okay already, that's so great. congrats!

laura said...

congratulations!!! i bet they will look fantastic...

here today, gone tomorrow said...

Congratulations, Tim! I'm very pleased that so many people will see your wonderful photos.

Mary Hockenbery said...

great news Tim! congratulations

Captain Annie said...

Tim, that is so fabulous! Looking forward to seeing those, they're going to be gorgeous. I've had quite enough of the old ones, harumph. Happy New Year! from, /dangerpaws

Anonymous said...

congratulations Tim! you must be well chuffed! transparencies are the bizz. you never know, we may make it to the opening!
hope you're having nice hols. nicky bought me a signed book - bruce davidson ~ subway. it's all starting to fit together...!

x

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tim! Can't wait to see it.

Been super busy but would love to hang out sometime soon.

Happy holidays to you and yours.

Sarah Underhill Photographer said...

Hey, How great is this! Congrats...

Happy New Year!
Best, Sarah